2021 Season

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and other hockey in general here. Not hockey? Head outside to The Great Outdoors.

Note: The old message board is officially dead. They took away the old version of PHP, meaning it won't run, and I didn't have enough time to try to upgrade to the new version. You will need to re-register to post!
wolves01

2021 Season

Post by wolves01 »

This probably needs a new thread. 28 Teams will play in the AHL beginning 2/5. Different division alignment and three teams opting out. Charlotte, Springfield, and Milwaukee-Wow
https://theahl.com/28-teams-participate ... NvAZUpIwcM

CreedFeed

Re: 2021 Season

Post by CreedFeed »

With no fans in the stands, it didn't make sense for Milwaukee to play. It would be a money pit for the team with no revenue.

chilly666

Post by chilly666 »

CreedFeed wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:29 pm
With no fans in the stands, it didn't make sense for Milwaukee to play. It would be a money pit for the team with no revenue.
With that thought process there wouldn't be any ahl season as most teams won't be having fans at games

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

I cant see Chicago doing any better

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

Pure speculation, but I would guess that the canes are helping the wolves financially. Maybe milwaukee and Nashville couldn't come to an agreement

CreedFeed

Post by CreedFeed »

Harris Turer, Admirals owner, is live on the radio right now talking about this. Here's some other facts that he spoke about:
  • There is an unknown cost to COVID testing. Right now he doesn't know when and how often COVID tests need to administered to the players and any staff that come in contact with the team.
  • Many AHL teams will be playing in practice facilities or smaller ice rinks. The Admirals would have considered that, however the AHL requires "curved glass" around the rink. No other hockey rink in the Milwaukee area has curved glass, so this was shot down immediately as an option for the team.
  • The city of Milwaukee has no time table on when fans could return to the arena. Based on that, the team had to assume 0 income for the full season.
  • The team did speak with Nashville and they couldn't find a way to make the season work financially.
  • The teams owned by an NHL club are playing because the NHL club can afford to absorb the costs.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

I cant see tv quality being very good from practice arenas, if they will have tv coverage at all.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I am surprised that there are no rinks in Wisc that don't have curved glass.

I guess the Wolves will be in Hoffman Estates at their practice rink. I asked my ticket rep if they were going to broadcast the games on YouTube or Facebook. Maybe an internet radio call?

I'm glad they are playing. I wouldn't have gone to the games until my dad had gotten the shot though.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

I would be comfortable going at limited capacity, if it happens at some point. Hopefully they come up with some type of video stream in the meantime, low quality is a lot better than nothing.

chilly666

Post by chilly666 »

Mike wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:06 pm
I asked my ticket rep if they were going to broadcast the games on YouTube or Facebook. Maybe an internet radio call?
they will never show the games on yt or facebook for free. they used to have the radio calls on facebook or via their website. there is zero reason ahltv won't be up and running this season. the video feed will depend on the internet service from hoffman.